Saturday 11 April 2015

Qwertee Design: 'Gravity Souls'

For this design, I figured I would try creating a mash-up of two franchises that I enjoy a lot, Dark Souls and Gravity Falls. This may be limiting the target audience to a very select group of people, folks that enjoy both Dark Souls and Gravity Falls together, and that might be a relatively small audience. I didn't mind, though. I just really enjoyed the idea. The cool thing about Qwertee is that they give you a lot of creative freedom with the designs; even if they might not get a lot of votes, they are still worth doing regardless of that. Anyway, I thought I'd create this to see if I could capture the art style of someone else, seeing how it translates with my style, and establishing scenarios in a single image, which I think is a really important method of practicing visual storytelling.

Here it is:


I actually really enjoyed making this! It was a good way to practice different poses, and I think I captured the character's emotions and personalities through body-language perfectly. The scenario presented is clear and, I think, portrays how it would go if it happened in Gravity Falls. I think the Black Knight is well stylised (though I wish I could have made him taller). I think where I fall flat is the background art, though. In case you can't tell, the setting is supposed to be a specific room in Dark Souls in a location called "Undead Burg", but it's not very clear, since I didn't do a great job at colouring it. I might go back to this and resubmit it in the future, since I think that is where the potential could lie. I just have to get good at drawing backgrounds... Oh and you can tell right away that I definitely spent more time on this than I did that crappy Psycho Mantis design.

No comments:

Post a Comment