Monday 11 November 2013

Apply: Lateness Animation

This is an animation we had to create to show our understanding of the animation course by applying what we have learned throughout this course. We had to create a short animation based on the theme of our choice, I picked Lateness. For this one, I took inspiration from something I had experienced that day and quickly drew a short 3-act structure in my sketch book.


This was very quickly thought up because I had a very similar problem at the time and a lot of times in the past too. I sketched it very quickly in the corner of my book, I thought it was good quick idea and just went with it. As you can see it was originally supposed to feature people in it, but I got kind of bored of them as I was making the storyboard, so instead I made it about ponies, an oc (original character) pony to be exact. I've drawn the star of the short so many times that I didn't really need to plan any drawings of her. I did, however design the teacher specially for this. I quickly designed him as a nice looking guy that goes completely insane when angry. I thought of this as I was making the storyboard too.

This is the main storyboard I used for the animation. It didn't turn out that differently in the end though, it's shot fairly similarly too. When I designed the teacher in the storyboard, I had thought about it quickly. This was the type of thing I thought of:



As you can see, the angry face is very much inspired by The Ren & Stimpy Show, with the exaggerated emotions in a similar style to that. Finally, as I was animating it, I made my own little animatic to get the timing right, and in the end I found myself spending countless hours doing the animation itself. I also spent a lot of time trying to apply what I had learned from the principles of animation and the story-telling task.I also applied some knowledge of cinematography, that I had learned from that task, plus my pixilation work. This is how it turned out in the end.




No comments:

Post a Comment