Tuesday 9 December 2014

Cinematography in 3D


I want talk about cinematography for a bit. I consider myself a huge fan of that side of production. I absolutely adore visual mediums that have great lighting/shadow, camera work, and every other aspect of cinematography. It is something I hold near and dear to me. This is one aspect I can easily favour about 3D animation over 2D. When animating in 3D, I am basically in charge of every aspect of cinematography during the animation process. The problem with 2D animation is that I don't have as much free reign over everything. I kind of enjoy physically moving the camera myself more than drawing the shot on a layout sheet; plus lighting and colours are normally sorted out during post production, rather than production like stop-motion, 3D, and live-action; certain parts of the cinematography are usually fixed during post-production with those mediums, though not to the same extent as 2D animation. Of course, the look of the scene in the end is all that matters, really.

3D animation is just more engaging in the cinematography aspect, because it's closer to how it works in reality, where you are creating the stage, setting up the lights, and moving the camera to where it needs to be. I plan on taking full advantage of this in my animation. I am actually mainly influenced by live-action films in terms of this, because I believe their imagery, while adapted to live-action, can be applied to animation. So I will try and look at both animated and live-action examples of good cinematography.

No comments:

Post a Comment