Thursday 17 March 2016

Sillie and Millie Inspiration: George Costanza (Seinfeld)

I was comparing Millie to different characters I enjoy and I realised that there was someone that really hit the nail on the head of what kind of character she is.


George Costanza is quite an accurate comparison, I'd say. I've always sort of related to this character, because he is so much of a jaded baffoon that you really want him to succeed just once. This is a remarkable trait for characters in slapstick comedy, in my opinion, because while the character is in a sense unlikable due to their immaturity, you still relate to the feeling of failure and that desire for them to succeed makes you like them. I figured Millie would be the same.

In the pilot, for example, we can relate to her stress and desire to be cured of her sickness and just have fun at home with her friend, but her attempts at having fun during her sickness and trying to cure herself are what make the slapstick. She's dumb and reckless, but lovable. In the same way George just wants to fit in with society, Millie just wants to fit in in general.

Millie is somewhat as much fueled by her arrogance as George is, in the sense that while she can usually be happy and accepting around Sillie, she is also rather cynical towards others. This doesn't come across well in the pilot, however, but I'd say Millie is the type of person who would try and recreate an argument just so she could use her "jerk store" come-back, or eat an eclaire from the trash because it was on top of a magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment