Wednesday 9 April 2014

Title Card Transition - Splatter

After the slow beginning of the title sequence, I wanted the moment where Migi appears and freaks out Shinichi to be the set up for the title card to transition. Originally, like in the animatic, the title card was just gonna appear without any visuals other than the typography of the title. I wanted the title card's appearance to be a jump scare and immediately establishes the crazy, depraved, and scary tone of the series, hence why the thrash metal music plays upon the title's appearance. I decided recently that there should be visuals alongside the title card that when shown alongside the music is not only discomforting but would either scare audiences or excite them. So I figured I would make the text more detailed and the title card would transition with an animated blood splatter. The idea of using bloody imagery was inspired by many TV thrillers, and example being the anime Monster, which shows the characters' outlines in the blood representing their darker brutal sides:

But here's the problem: I can't draw a good splatter for shit. So how am I gonna make one look good? I don't have a scanner so I can't use ink splatter on a sheet of paper, and I wanted to see how a splatter would look if it went towards the screen. So I figured a solution would be to record a splat of liquid with a camera to use as reference, and maybe even rotoscope a little. Here's what the set-up looks like:



Sorry for the poor quality, but this is pretty much what the set-up looks like, I got my brother to make a liquid that could simulate the look of the blood splatter and throw it at the window while I record, then I would look at it both in regular motion and slow motion just to get a good idea of how it looks. Seems convoluted but it's effective. Even Art Babbit had to record footage for reference. It's good thing the weather was on my side that day, because just like anything recorded outside, you have to account for lighting, time of day, and weather, like if it was raining then not only would it be too bleak and not get a good enough picture but it would also ruin the look of the splatter, being soaked in rain water. Here's the footage recorded: 


It took many takes to get the splatter right, it either didn't hit the window right or even worse it did but was out of frame, this was the best one. You can just see my brother's satisfaction in the video. Anyway, I was able to make a rough piece to see how I got the pattern down.

Now obviously in the actual sequence I'm use something like this in a broader scale. I just wanted to get an idea of the pattern it makes, and I think it works pretty damn well, actually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment