Tuesday 1 April 2014

Head turning on Photoshop

A small aspect of the title sequence is one moment in the opening where the character turns his head to his right. It's a very small aspect but I have to account for body language, facial expressions, and the overall flow of the movement for that part to work. So I practiced a turning motion on Photoshop, because that software's good with digital hand-drawn animation and I can create a smoother arc-driven movement on there. So I made a simple head-turn drawing that's 12 frames long, and animated at 24 frames per second. I picked a pose-to-pose approach for this like so:



I then simply filled out the inbetweens.


So it works quite well. I used a squash and stretch technique and moved the facial expressions and tuft of hair to simulate movement, and you can see the results. This proves I can use Photoshop if I need a smooth movement within the scene, so I'll mainly use that in the title sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment