Friday 2 May 2014

Ceramics Documentation 1

Something I've unfortunately neglected to mention throughout this month was the Ceramics workshop induction. This was the first time I've ever used ceramics and found it to be a fun, and challenging experience. I have always had a love for stop-motion, plasticine, and clay animation, so I was glad I had the opportunity to try this out. We were tasked with designing a human/humanoid character that would be made into a simple 6-7 inch 3D clay model. It was a rather complicated process, actually. Basically, I had to make some flexible wires in the shape of a body, it had to match the general shape of the character I designed, then add some molding clay to the limbs, hands, feet, torso, and head. It's much harder than it sounds, in fact I may have screwed this part up because I used too much mold, they almost stuck together, which would have affected the movement of the model (It sounds complicated, I know. Basically, imagine if your bones were molded together and you couldn't bend your arms. Yeah that's basically what would happen to the model). Then I added the plasticine, a mixture of red and black, some pure black and a red streak for the hair. At this point, a lot of attention to detail was necessary, it had to match the style of the design and have the little details added to the clothing, body structure and overall anatomy of the figure; unfortunately I don't have a camera so I couldn't really show the process, but I do have pictures of the final product:





No comments:

Post a Comment