Tuesday 18 March 2014

Life Drawing

I recently did some life drawings, each group with their own theme and/or guidelines, which I've always somehow neglected over the years, because I never really saw the importance of it until recently. First, I had to draw at least 12-18 poses, per person, that establish movement through a space, and I had to spend 10 seconds per pose. This felt like it was my pace because I'm sort of used to that nice, loose style and method of drawing, and this was literally just drawing lines and shapes that establish the flow, direction, pace, and body language of the moving individual. I then had to draw the same thing, only instead I was drawing shapes to establish squashing and stretching in an open space, and having drawn squashes and stretches since starting animation, this was fairly simple, and also good practice. Next, I had to draw four poses, for five minutes each, that established the figure pushing and pulling on an object. I feel like I need to work on the pushing drawings a bit more, and some of my pulling drawings were fine apart from a slight screw-up on the anatomy. Lastly, I had to draw four more drawings, this time focusing more on the shape, anatomy, and weight of a model. I'd have to spend 20-30 minutes on each drawing, not having to focus too much on detail but still getting the overall figure correct. I did fairly well at that, having used different types of media for each drawing, it let me think creatively to establish the figure's colour, and depending on the body language of the model, I would use media to establish mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment